Tuesday 4 October 2011

The thrills of technical progress, and monkeys with beards

A whole day playing with the Java 2D Graphics facilities for image compositing. It seems that Java does everything I need nowadays - in the 10 years or so since I first conceived this language, students have struggled to do this stuff at interactive speeds, and I've published research papers based on less technical progress than I have made today[1]. Won't be able to do exactly the same stuff on Android, but let's cross that bridge when I come to it.

Further good news is that I haven't yet suffered the curse of working at home. When announcing this blog to a few friends, I mentioned my mental image of what happened to Dilbert. Quentin picked this up via Facebook, bringing the question of why monkeys don't grow beards to a new generation of readers.

[1] Blackwell, A.F. and Wallach, H. (2002). Diagrammatic integration of abstract operations into software work contexts. In M. Hegarty, B. Meyer and N.H.Narayanan (Eds.), Diagrammatic Representation and Inference, Springer-Verlag, pp. 191-205.

No comments:

Post a Comment